Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Shotgun Shell Lockets

Yesterday I finished a project that I have been working on for some time.  I had seen these cute  little shotgun shell rings and lockets in Belle Armorie Magazine and thought they were wonderful but a bit bulky in the mechanics.  From that point on I was obsessed with trying to make something like them with my own twist.  A friend of mine has a husband that shoots for fun and he gave me a huge box of these 12 gauge shotgun shells this spring.  They have sat every since then because everything I tried just looked to bulky and not clean like I wanted, until last week when I had an ah-ha moment when opening a chap stick container.  Why couldn't they be made like the old tins where it was just a simple pressure fitted lid.  This takes away all hinges and latches that just end up way to big on something that only measures about an inch across. I am in love with them, they are a simple but totally functional locket with a clean simple look.  I have plans to put some of the  ones with no dangles on leather necklaces for boys.  If you are interested in owning your own Shotgun Shell Locket just send me and Email at Beadbug at usa dot com and I will be happy to put up a listing on etsy for one or two or six. :) Let me know if you want the finished inside or if you want to install your own photo.  I can also put your photo in if you would like to send it to me.

No animals were harmed in the collecting of these shells :)
Shell Lockets $24.00 on a 24 inch ball chain.
Here is what the inside of the caps look like, you can order them empty
if you would like to add your own image. 
Shell lockets just pain.
Brass shell caps removed from the plastic base.
My box of shot gun shells, I haven't even made a dent in it.
No animals were harmed in the shooting of these shells, only clay birds. 

4 comments:

  1. What a clever design idea. These are beautiful despite the fact they are ammunition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too cute, although I grew up among a whole family of hunters , hunting is not my thing. I get a little snotty about people who feed deer through out the year to only kill them. Not to crazy about people who sit in deer stands waiting till some innocent unsuspecting deer comes along and then gets slaughtered . I know enough said so I like the idea of someone taking shot gun shells and making something nice and pretty out of them .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius!! Pure and absolute genius. They are super cool.

    ReplyDelete