Friday, November 9, 2012

Ribbon Wrap Bracelets

If you have been reading my blog from the beginning you will know that I started out in the sewing world and have had several other jobs along the way.  Every once in a while that sewing knowledge comes in handy.  A few years back I was seeing these beautifully colored silk strings in many jewelry designs and decided that I must learn how to make them and since I don't give up easily that is exactly what I did.  If you are interested in making some of your own here is a link to that tutorial.  I used all sorts of crazy things to dye them with from egg dyes to koolaid and sold a bunch of them on Etsy.

A big bundle of these have been hanging in my studio now for a few years. The other day I remembered a bracelet I had admired at Bead and Button that used the silk strings as the bracelet band. I don't like the idea of having to tie a string onto my wrist every time I want to wear a bracelet so my design uses a hook for the closure.  This way you tie it once and you are done with the fit unless you decide you would like to wear your bracelet with a different color silk string,  they are easy to change out.

It wasn't easy to find something to display these on since they simply look like a puddle of silk with some metal attached to them when they aren't on a wrist but I finally decided an antique rolling pin would be perfect.

The black ribbon is very attractive on these but just didn't photograph well.
Ribbon Wrap Bracelet $40.00

Ribbon Wrapped Bracelet $40.00

3 comments:

  1. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I love your display idea, and these are beautiful cuffs. Your colors pop, and they look as if they would be very comfortable.

    ReplyDelete