Sunday, November 13, 2011

Ending Your Strings

After looking at the silk strings you may wonder what to do with the ends.  There are several things that work well, a simple knot is a great finish especially if you don't want to add any additional color or metals to your design.  Another choice is using a metal crip end with a little loop like the second one in the photo, with this one you could add a bead on a headpin.  The third look is a wrapped wire with a loop to add dangles onto.  The fourth look is simply a bead strung on and glued.  The fifth one is a large crimp bead and the sixth one is a bead then strung through a loop and then back through the bead and glued.  Superglue was used on all the ends except for the knot.  I like to thread the bead or other finding on further than needed, place the glue onto the end and then slip the bead or finding back over that glue.  This way you don't get glue where you don't want it.  OK so if your me you still might but it's a good way to try and control it.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to use silk in my jewelry but have been hesitant because 1) I can't tie a good knot, 2) I'm always unsure of the durability of both the silk, and those metal crimp ends.

    Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try the silk too. Currently I have loads of ribbon I have used with my pendants, probably more than I'll ever need. I've been trying to find a way to do something more creative with those too. I think these same suggestions offer some good options! I especially like the last one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete