Thursday, September 9, 2010

Class Time

Today I started a 12 week class called Non-traditional Materials for Jewelers from the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts.  My teacher's name is Amy Culp and I think it's going to be interesting.  Amy taught us how to work with some paper pulp to make some paper beads, even though I don't think this is anything I would ever bother with since glass is so beautiful and paper just doesn't do it for me it is a technique that may come in handy at some point in my jewelry building.  The second part of today's class was spent working with a resin and paper to make a chunk of resin/paper that we will turn into something interesting next week, or maybe not depends on how it turns out.

At the beginning of the class we were asked about our favorite found object and I told the class about the treasures my husband brings home for me from job sites.  I never know what might come home in his pockets or back of his truck but I forgot about my favorite all time found object the shells I picked up on beach of Fort Laurterdale.  My stash is running out and it is looking like the next trip will have to be a business trip to sit on the beach and pick up shells. Here are some of the bracelets I have made with the drilled shells and beach glass beads I made.

Beach Bum Bracelet in my favorite color combo
I love using the copper tube to make this style bracelet

My friend Sandra's favorite color combo

1 comment: